"In Your Face"
Basketball Crazy's E-Newsletter - Issue 3 - January 2010
Welcome to Basketball Crazy’s monthly “In Your Face”
newsletter. This newsletter is to highlight the specific information
about the Basketball Crazy Website and to offer something thought
provoking to those readers that are keen to develop aspects of their
game as a player, coach, referee or administrator.
Our Website Continues To Build
There has been a healthy increase in our newsletter subscription and new members continue to sign up.
For those Newsletter Subscribers new to you is, the Basketball Crazy Website
which has hundreds of web pages of general information about basketball. For
the cost of a basketball book @ $27.50, you can have a six-months
subscription to the website including a wealth of information about
basketball with the added bonus that this website will continue to
develop everyday. This is just the start!!
There will be no end to the development of this resource with
additional information being put into ongoing development that will see
the website establish whole new chapters of relevant information. It
has taken a great deal of time and effort to establish the current
pages to a point that will provide some interest and benefit to people
to entice them to become members.
The current information is relevant to players, parents and coaches
however the future information will expand to referees, bench
officials, medical information, sports administration and facility
management. Please be aware that there are still subjects that are not
finished and are a work in progress. This monthly newsletter will
provide you information of what the latest updated and new web pages
Interview With Warren Kuhn (Well known influental Western Australian coach)
Basketball Crazy interviewed well known Western Australian coach Warren
Kuhn with a view to provoke thinking towards solutions for issues
currently facing Australian basketball. Warren has coached many young
athletes with a number of these athletes acheiving scholarships in USA
colleges. Warren also talks about how he keeps himself informed on
what the latest developments are in basketball.
Warren Kuhn's Interview (Click Here)
Previous Interviews (Click Here
Feature Website Chapter Extracts for January
The following chapter extracts are from the key development areas of the Basketball Crazy Website:
Basketball Crazy has establish a comprehensive outline on Zone Defence outlined in chapter 2.7.2 Zone Defence
This type of defense requires players to use Man to Man defensive
principles in a confined designated area of the court. There is a
common presumption amongst developing coaches that the keyway is the
zone area to defend when in fact each player is expected to take
responsibility of a greater court area. There are also extended full
and half court zone defensive strategies that can be established to
create additional pressure against offensive transition.
General rules and principles for players participating in a zone defense are:
- to create pressure on the ball.
- to create pressure off the ball.
- to minimize penetration of the ball.
- to minimize uncontested shots.
- to minimize skip passing.
- to minimize inside and outside passes.
- to block out a player when the shot is made.
There are various types of zone defensive set-ups with general rules
that give the defender a strategic team value. There are a few examples
of various types below.
Various Zone Defence Options Include:
18.104.22.168 Zone Defence 2-1-2 (also known as Zone Defence 2-3 formation)
Example of Illustration
Other Zone Defensive Options Include:
22.214.171.124 Zone Defence 1-3-12.7.3 Half Court Zone Defence
126.96.36.199 Zone Defence 1-2-2
188.8.131.52 Zone Defence 1-2-2 Snake
184.108.40.206 Half Court 1-3-1 Zone Trap2.7.4 Full Court Zone Defence
220.127.116.11 Half Court 1-2-2 Zone Trap
18.104.22.168 Full Court 1-2-1-1 Zone TrapNote:
22.214.171.124 Full Court 1-2-2 Zone Trap
Chapters 2.7.3 & 2.7.4 have additional PDF files showing movement against an offensive team.
Chapter 3 – Player Development
This chapter covers all the skills and attributes of becoming
an all-round basketball player. There is excellent information and
illustrations on player passing and dribbling skills, player shooting
skills and player stance & movement.
Examples of the illustrations
Basketball Crazy Products and Services
The following products and services are now available for your consideration:
What Is New Through December and January?
Well apart from the whole website being open for business for less
than three months, the following new webpages have been added in
- Offenses: The following offensive set plays have been added to Chapter 2 Coaching Development:
- Basketball Crazy has available the Horns Basic Play - 126.96.36.199 Offence 1-4 (Horns Basic Play)
- A variation to the Horns Basic Play - 188.8.131.52 Offence 1-4 (Horns Screen & Pop)
- A variation to the Horns Offence - 184.108.40.206 Offence 1-4 (Horns Screen & Loop)
- A variation to the Horns Offence - 220.127.116.11 Offence 1-4 (Horns Post Entry to Split Post)
- A variation to the Horns Offence - 18.104.22.168 Offence 1-4 (Horns Screen the Screener)
- Various Drills: The following passing drills have been added to Chapter 5 Drills & Conditioning:
- 5.11.1 Passing - Half Court (Line Drill)
- 5.11.2 Passing - Half Court (Pig-In-Middle)
- 5.11.3 Passing - Half Court (Star Passing)
- 5.11.4 Passing - Half Court (Hot-Potato, Pepper Drill)
- 5.11.100 Passing - Full Court (3-Man-Weave)
- 5.11.101 Passing - Full Court (5-Man-Weave)
Things That May Be Of Interest To Readers
Some interesting reading for any Head Coach:
- New Book Reviews:
Basketball Crazy has been busy over the Christmas break reading the
many great books available. By providing the following book reviews,
Basketball Crazy hopes to encourage players and coaches to read and
place positive information into their thinking and approach to the
game. If you place good stuff into your head then you will receive
good stuff coming out. By reading about successful people you too can
emulate and learn from the best. These book reviews have been added to
Chapter 6 Psychology & Motivation
- 22.214.171.124.104 Basketball - How To Be Like Mike - Pat Williams
- 126.96.36.199.202 Australian Rules Football - Kevin Sheedy - Stand Your Ground - Life & Football
- 188.8.131.52.203 Cricket - Glenn McGrath - Line & Strength
- 184.108.40.206.204 Cricket - Justin Langer - Seeing The Sunrise
- 220.127.116.11.301 General Knowledge - Don't Sweat The Small Stuff - Richard Carlson PhD
See if you can answer yes to the 20 questions asked at the following web page:
20 Questions: (Click Here)
Chapter 7 – Player Opportunities
A special feature of this chapter is 7.6 College Scholarship.
You can learn more about what it takes to get into college and what you have to do to entice a college to make an offer.
A list of current Aussies playing in USA
- Basketball Crazy found these three episodes from On-The-Brink
interesting and there is some comparison with young talented
basketballers from Australia moving to USA to seek a positive
The American 5th Grader - Basketball Crazy found a must watch young basketballer on Utube:
For Great Ball Skills (Click Here)
Much More To Come
Help us help you. The more people that become involved with Basketball
Crazy, the more development and resources will become available. Part
proceeds from the website, products and services will go towards future
development of services and resources to benefit basketball including
support for those clubs and associations that create the greatest
interest in our website. Basketball Crazy is also interested in
receiving basketball stories and items of interest from readers.
Please forward this newsletter onto coaches, team mates, family and friends and allow them to benefit as well.
Your feedback is most welcome: Contact Us
If you missed our last "In Your Face Newsleter" Click Here (Newsletter History)
Should you wish not
to receive future “In Your Face” Newsletters, Please use this